Thursday, April 5, 2012

Non-Profit Organizations

I'm going to make a plug for an organization that means a lot to me.  Actually, what they do has more meaning than the group itself.  Before I list any of my links, let me comment how giving and selflessness are traits that many artists and collectors possess.  When I decided to start selling my work, the first consideration was to include a way that my photography could create some revenue for the needy.

I've recently gotten acquainted with a group from Knoxville, Tennessee called Project Being There.  They exist to help impoverished children at an orphanage in Vietnam.  What impresses me the most about this organization is that they are 100% volunteer so all of the profits go to the children.  If you've ever looked at one of the big charitable organizations, you'll find an executive staff whose salaries are in the 6 figures and a high percentage of their revenue goes to cover administrative overhead.  That bothers me because they appear to be nothing more than a large corporation with a mission to raise money.... a true heart for the needy may be forgotten in that board room of executives.

Please do take a few moments to read about Project Being There.  I hope you'll consider making a tax deductible donation and follow their story as they work to improve life for many forgotten children.  If you're an artist, I hope you'll consider incorporating a charity option to use at your showings and engage the collector.

NBC broadcasted two stories on this group:

NBC Nightly News - Making a Difference

NBC Nightly News - Followup Story


Learn more at their website: Project Being There

If you can help this group, please contact them.  Every human sometimes needs a "hand up" and when it's a child, that hand should be strong and empowered by a gentle heart.  Thank you for your help.




No comments:

Post a Comment