Thursday, April 19, 2012

Is photography a criminal offense?

I've been out of town for the past week so haven't been on top of my blog.  I apologize for that.  We visited many of the sites in Washington DC and photographed a few.

While out and about, I learned how to receive a quick police response.... you simply pull out professional camera gear, i.e., large professional series lens, tripod, monopod, remote trigger, light meter, etc., and the police will come to you very quickly.  Now I don't know if a person gets such a rapid response if you report a criminal offense but they alert VERY QUICKLY to any person who photographs a government facility.  I witnessed people in the street making public racist speeches, panhandlers harassing us for cash, and people who simply looked dangerous BUT the police force merely stands on the corner while this goes on.  I am 55 years old, caucasian, well groomed, dress conservatively, and toured with my wife who has similar physical attributes.  So what makes the law enforcement officials so concerned about our activities??

I remember during the Cold War, where in communist countries, i.e., Soviet Union and China, we learned about how their citizens had no freedom to photography government facilities.  And a western tourist who visited those countries was warned to be careful with their photography.... our own (United States) government reminded us of our fortune to be citizens where we had no such restrictions on our rights.  The United States talked about how the communist governments didn't trust their own citizens.... how they monitored and restricted their activities.  Oh my gosh.... what has happened in America??

I intend to pursue my right to photograph public facilities in spite of the harassment from law enforcement officials.  I hope you will too.... be sure to write to your Congressman, post your concerns in the social media, and letters to your local newspapers, so that you can express your feelings on the matter.  We all share a responsibility for protecting our country but we cannot relinquish our rights as citizens and allow our officials to monitor our every movement nor to treat us as criminals when we photograph a building that is paid for with our tax dollars.  Please do something about it!

That is my rant for this day.... you may hear more and I hope you'll comment.  In parting, I'd like to share a couple photos from our trip.  These are both from inside the Thomas Jefferson Library of Congress building.




No comments:

Post a Comment