Saturday, April 21, 2012

Decay and Abandoned

I love photographing old forgotten and abandoned buildings that are full of decay.  As you view the artwork, it calls upon your memory to younger days when things were lively and vibrant.  You admire the rugged construction of these decaying items because they are still surviving.... the rust and peeling paint seem to provide a layer of "character."

Recently, while visiting Okmulgee, Oklahoma, I came across an old abandoned gasoline station.  One of the more interesting images that I captured was this compressed air line.  Present day construction would have created this item with plastics and it certainly won't have "character" in 40 years.... it's not even likely that a modern day item will survive that long.  How sad that we live in an age of cheap materials, shoddy trade work, and disposal of our property after a very short life.

They just "don't build things like they used to."  Here's my decaying compressed air station.  I hope you like it.


You're welcome to visit my online gallery to examine and view a larger image.

No comments:

Post a Comment